Words With Friends, Bananagrams, and Scrabble all have one thing in common. They use letter tiles to create words on the gameboard. Today we’re making a DIY Words With Friends craft project that’s easy to recreate.
This word tile art frame is a nice craft project to make and gift to your friend that you compete against in Words with Friends, literally every day.
If you’re looking for other gift ideas, check out this acrylic paint pour canvas. It’s a great project and makes a lovely gift!
Before we jump into this project, let’s answer some of your most popular questions.
[mv_video aspectRatio=”true” doNotAutoplayNorOptimizePlacement=”false” doNotOptimizePlacement=”false” jsonLd=”true” key=”royckmiy8flovopqlycp” sticky=”false” thumbnail=”https://mediavine-res.cloudinary.com/v1583850794/udbayewgp9iel8vpqfm0.jpg” title=”Words With Friends Gift” volume=”70″]
What are the Q Without U Words For Scrabble?
This is one I hear all the time, what are the q without u words for Scrabble?
Another way to say this would be what words contain the letter Q where the Q is not followed by a U, (i.e. Qu as in Queen or Aqua).
There are plenty of them and here’s the list for you!
Of course, all the plurals of these words are in play as well!
So go get ’em and rack up the points with that Q!
Note that Scrabble and Words with Friends are different games.
You’ll have to test these on the latter to see if they’re counted as valid words.
How Many of Each Scrabble Tile?
There are 100 letter tiles in Scrabble.
The tiles have different points for each letter, and the number of tiles for each letter varies as well.
Here is a list of how many Scrabble tiles there are, the letters, and the points they are worth.
- 2 blank tiles (scoring 0 points)
- 1 point: E—12, A—9, I—9, O—8, N—6, R—6, T—6, L—4, S—4, U—4
- 2 points: D—4, G—3
- 3 points: B—2, C—2, M—2, P—2
- 4 points: F—2, H—2, V—2, W—2, Y—2
- 5 points: K—1
- 8 points: J—1, X—1
- 10 points: Q—1, Z—1
This list comes from Wikipedia. The two blank tiles can be used as any letter in the alphabet, but are not worth any points.
Is Oz A Word In Scrabble?
Unfortunately, Oz is not a word in Scrabble, or Words With Friends.
The shortest English word that begins with the letters O and Z is Ozone.
Now that we know that, can you use the letters o and z to make a word?
Yes, you can flip it around to make the word Zo.
While this is a valid Scrabble word, it will not be valid in Words With Friends.
Words With Friends Cheat
Now I know you’re not here to make a Words With Fiends Craft for your friend if you’re also searching “Words With Friends Board Cheat”. Tisk Tisk.
Nevertheless, there are a gazillion anagram finders out there.
Just select one and enter the tiles you have.
That will show you what words you can make with your words with friends tiles.
In addition to entering your tiles, you can also use the board tiles in your cheat method.
Simply enter one additional board letter tile into the anagram finder and it’ll show you words you can create using all your letter tiles and the board letter tile combined.
Another question I get asked a lot is, what are the rules to Bananagrams?
This is a really simple game to play. Here’s a video of how to play Bananagrams!
And now on to our Words with Friends crafting project.
DIY Home Decor Project
Now that we got our top questions answered, let’s make this fun gift for your friend who loves to battle you in Words With Friends!
- Picture Frame—Use an old one or get one from the thrift shop.
- Canvas to fit the frame—You can upcycle something you already have, or find a piece of canvas at a thrift store and wrap it around a piece of cardboard.
- Scrabble tiles (or Bananagrams game tiles!)
- Acrylic paint
- Glue Gun (You can find a cordless one on Amazon)
- A pencil
- A ruler
- Embellishments if you wish
Before you start working on your craft, decide on the words you want to use in your craft.
We used uplifting words. Lay out the placement to be sure it will fit within the measurements of the frame.
Paint the canvas with acrylic paint. Allow the painted canvas to dry completely.
Apply one more coat of paint and allow that to dry completely before continuing.
Attach Canvas To The Frame
Using your glue gun, attach the canvas to the backside of the frame.
You might not need to use glue for this if your frame has a way to secure the canvas from the backside.
Most picture frames have metal clips that rotate or bend to secure the photo glass in place.
Use these to secure your canvas.
Arrange and Glue Letter Tiles
Arrange the letter tiles on your canvas to make sure they fit where you want them.
If you need to, lightly draw lines with your pencil.
Now that your letter tiles are all arranged the way you want them, and fit your canvas nicely, you can glue them into place.
Glue the tiles directly to the canvas using a hot glue gun.
Grab a few embellishments that you keep in your upcycled storage bin to decorate the canvas.
Give this upcycled project to your pal who loves to play Words With Friends!
Words With Friends Gift Ideas
- Glue Gun with Glue
- Paint brush
- 1 Picture Frame
- 1 Canvas cut to fit frame, wrap around cardboard if needed.
- 1 set Scrabble Tiles
- 1 color Acrylic Paint any color
- 2 Embellishments optional, choose something you'd like to use to decorate the frame or canvas
- Remove and dispose of, or set aside to be upcycled, the picture frame glass if necessary. Cut the canvas larger and wrap it around a piece of cardboard. Secure it to the cardboard with hot glue.
- Paint the canvas using your choice of paint color; allow to dry, finish with a second coat of paint and allow it to completely dry
- Attach the canvas to the frame. Use hot glue or use the picture frame clips on then backside.
- Arrange the letter tiles in position on the canvas and glue them to the canvas using hot glue.
- Glue embellishments to the blank areas of the canvas or onto the frame to make it unique!
Subscribe for a free sweet dessert recipe delivered instantly!